Saturday, April 01, 2006

About the Texas Rangers

The baseball season is almost upon us. It really snuck up on me this year, perhaps because I'm not in any fantasy leagues this season (fantasy baseball is a lot of work if you take it seriously). Anyways, here are my preseason thoughts on the Rangers.

The Soriano trade didn't make much sense to me. It added another outfielder who really isn't a centerfielder (the outfield positions are still up in the air) and forces the Rangers to play a rookie with no major league experience at 2nd base. I figured they at least get a starting pitcher for Soriano.

Kevin Milwood was a good signing, but he's really only a slight upgrade over the season that Kenny Rogers put up last year. I thought they should have tried to keep Rogers, but they felt they had to let him go due to off the field reasons. The also signed starting pitcher Vicente Padilla who has been average (at best) the last two seasons.

I didn't understand the Eaton for Young deal. Eaton is older, did not put up better numbers last year, pitched in what is considered by many the best pitcher's park whereas Young pitched in what is consider the second worse pitchers park, and Eaton is a free agent at the end of the year. Now unfortunately Eaton is hurt, which means the Rangers now have 3 somewhat proven starters to fill 5 rotation spots instead of having 4.

I just don't see much happening for the Rangers this year. I'm predicting a 73-89 record.


Technorati tags:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when are we getting out to a game? I'm not picky about where we sit, but I'd love to get back to the field.

4:11 PM, April 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to go as well...but Parke will need to sit between us b/c I am about to go to blows over you dissing my Rangers! hahaha

Seriously, good assessment. And the trade they just made with Deluchi has me shaking my head.

Could be another tough year, yeah? But as of Opening Day we are in 1st place baby!!!

10:39 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

We will have to wait to see if Robinson Tejeda works out before we can see if it was a good trade. But the idea, trading an outfielder for a starting pitcher makes sense.

1:29 PM, April 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home