Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Book Review: Blue Like Jazz

By Donald Miller

Subtitle: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

This book got a fair amount of hype (in certain circles anyways) a few months ago so I picked it up when I got a chance. The book is basically an autobiography of Donald Miller although some of his friends' stories are told as well. Miller has a diverse background including: his upbringing in a fundamentalist church, time spent living with hippies, work as a writer, and his ministry on one of the most liberal colleges in the country.

Miller writes in an informal, easy to read manner. He does jump around in time a bit, which could be confusing if the reader doesn't stay on top of things. He is very honest in his writings as his deals with his spiritual journey and is insightful about his motivation and the motivation of people around him. Many have remarked on the book's unique style, but I think I've seen it before, it's sorta of like a high quality personal blog.

Overall, Blue Like Jazz is a good book that I would recommend to anyone.


Technorati tags:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "high quality blog" comment really interests me. I hadn't read the book to this point in part because of the hype, but I really do value the memoirs of people over their books many times. I'll have to give it a try.

PS - mind if I borrow your copy?

4:08 PM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

Sure, no problem. I'll bring it Sunday. Or Friday if you're going to be there.

5:59 PM, June 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!! WHAT A CONTRAST OF EVENTS!!! I need to read more!!! Especially something like that!!!

9:56 AM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty good book. (Many of our "postmodern" leader friends were designing all their small group curriculum around it). Not sure I would do that...but it's a good read.

I do encourage my non-believing friends to give this a shot. It really does paint a better picture of real life and faith.

So Jasen will you do a chapter by chapter summary on BLJ or is this it?

Also, would you mind if you gave some of your reviews to the Mosaic forum? I really do value and trust you objective approach to writings. And some of the things you reviewed here would fit nicely on a page on our site (for others to see). I don't see how it would be more work (just some cutting and pasting for Zak). How about it? Maybe give us a monthly review of a certain book that we should be thinking about as missional believers?

See you Friday brother!

11:22 AM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

Derek, if you would like I could let you borrow it after Parke is done with it.

Stephen, that's all the review I had planned for Blue Like Jazz, I've been trying to figure out how to write a one post review since my 27 post review of Generous Orthodoxy.

I'd be happy to have any of my reviews put on the Mosaic site. I could do one a month, unless I ever do something like that 27 post review. That actually took me three and a half months.

1:06 PM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger kelly said...

after reading your post, i think you may enjoy a book by the pastor of don miller's church, Rick McKinley. it's called Jesus in the Margins. check it out. blessings~

1:11 PM, July 15, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

Thanks, that does sound interesting.

1:50 PM, July 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home