Sunday, June 11, 2006

World Cup Time!

Yep, once every four years I'm a soccer fan. Ok, I do follow Team USA a little in between World Cups as well.

Even if you don't like soccer the World Cup has quite a bit to offer as a spectacle. It's hard to beat the combination of sports and nationalism. And it always produces some good storylines.

Perhaps my favorite from the last World Cup (other than Team USA embarrassing Mexico of course) was the play of the South Korean team. Despite being decidedly lacking in goal scoring skills by international standards, the South Koreans (perhaps boosted by their home field crowds) played with a greater consistent effort than I have perhaps ever seen a team. They flat wore opposing teams out and made a huge cinderella run all the way to the semifinals. It was also fun to hear all the whining from the European teams that South Korea beat over questionable calls (some of which to be fair, probably were bad calls).

My all-time favorite World Cup storyline will be the world's reaction when the U.S. wins a World Cup (which we will sometime).

Besides rooting for Team USA, I've decided to jump on a bandwagon as well.



Go Trinidad!


Technorati tags:

4 Comments:

Blogger Thainamu said...

My firstborn and his wife are off to Germany tomorrow (from Honduras) to attend a game. And here I thought he was a baseball fanatic.

There'll be no scapling these tickets, which he ordered about a year ago, because they have one's name on them and require showing photo ID to use them.

6:36 AM, June 12, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

Which game?

Hopefully it's better than the U.S. one today.

1:46 PM, June 12, 2006  
Blogger Thainamu said...

Spain v. Tunisia, I think.

I have no idea if that will be a good game or not, but he did tell me that he is being harrassed by his coworkers today for the USA loss. :-)

6:12 PM, June 12, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

He should ask his coworkers how well their country is doing in the World Cup.

9:49 PM, June 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home