Monday, July 03, 2006

Encounter This!

Yesterday I went to Encounter (http://www.encounterthis.com/)*, a relatively new church that has been meeting in the Waxahachie Civic Center. They are one of those stealth Southern Baptist church plants (that sounds kinda bad, but I'm actually quite impressed that the SBC has managed to plant some non-traditional type churches, like this one).

Encounter started the service with the now traditional guitar driven praise/worship music. The sermon was about how men and women are created different by God. The preacher may have made some valid points, but he was reading way, way, way, way too much into the Biblical text (Genesis 1+2). Anyways, it wasn't what I was hoping it might be.


* Which raises the question: why does a church have a dot com page?


Technorati tags:

7 Comments:

Blogger Thainamu said...

What were you hoping it might be?

Was your disappointment because they didn't interpret scripture correctly, or for some other reason?

5:04 PM, July 03, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

I didn't like how the preacher handled scripture in that sermon, but that's not really what I was getting at.

I was hoping it would be much more of a missional type church than what it was.

3:14 PM, July 04, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

I was afraid someone would ask that (I guess I'll write something on it eventually).

The first time I went Seth spoke.

6:58 PM, July 05, 2006  
Blogger Jonathan Blundell said...

as someone who attends encounter regularly I'm sorry you weren't pleased with the service, but i hope you found a church home in the area.
i'm interested to know what you mean by "missional."
do you feel an alter call is necessary to be missional? or is it in the type of service?

1:21 PM, November 27, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

"Missional" isn't about having (or not having) an altar call, or about the type of service.



I wrote about what I meant by missional here: http://pbya.blogspot.com/2006/07/missional-type-church.html



And you might have seen this, but here's the best place on the Internet addressing what "missional" means http://friendofmissional.org/.

4:40 PM, November 27, 2006  
Blogger Jonathan Blundell said...

Hey I never heard back from you on what was non-missional about encounter. What would you change or improve on?

2:38 PM, December 12, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

Well, now I've sent you an email.

1:21 PM, December 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home