Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Book Review: No Perfect People Allowed

Subtitle: Creating A Come As You Are Culture in the Church

Amazon link

Author: John Burke, Lead Pastor of Gateway Community Church in Austin

John Burke's book is a reminder that none of us is perfect (hence the title). He emphasizes that we need to allow people to come to church as they are (hence the subtitle). He writes that increasingly there are more people who have no experience of church in their past and that such people are unlikely to believe in Christ until after they are accepted in a community (that is, a church).

In No Perfect People Allowed, Burke shares the stories of many people form his church, which gives insight into the people he terms "the emerging generations." Helpful approaches to answering the questions of the emerging generations are suggested. These include questions concerning such topics as: truth, acceptance, other religions, and homosexuality.

The most interesting part to me was the chapter "Recovering an Addicted Generation." From legal and illegal drugs to sex, gambling, compulsive spending, and eating disorders, Burke makes the case that we are an addicted society. This is a problem that he views as severely overlooked by the Church today (I agree).

This is a book that I'd recommend reading, especially for anyone who is considering how to minister to people that have no church background.


Technorati tags:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the booked as well. (You read it much faster than I). In fact, just today I was with a leader in the Southern Baptist Church church planting movement of Texas and I shared that all the new church planters just own a copy, read the book and then learn how to apply the principles in their own context. Great review. (Now what do you want to borrow?)

4:55 PM, October 11, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

Thanks, but I have enough books for a while. I've even already read another one. I read them faster than I write reviews.

5:45 PM, October 11, 2006  
Blogger Thainamu said...

On first blush, it sounds like something we should all readily agree on. But on second thought, I realized why it won't really work. It won't work because churches are usually places where believers meet together for various reasons, one of which is spiritual fellowship (I don't just mean socializing). This is something an non-believer cannot, by definition, partake in.

Sure, we can be loving and hospitable and out-reaching to anyone who comes to church, and that will be a great way to reach them. But it would be a mistake to think that a non-believer could fit in and be comfortable among a group of believers because what fellowship does darkness have with light?

10:12 PM, October 12, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

Well, by accepted in a community I mean that they are loved by the church as they are, and that they are encouraged to participate as much as they can/are willing to.


I think that a non-believer very likely would be uncomfortable when around Christian fellowship. But if such a person sticks around, it is likely that God is at work in their heart, and that the person's participation in the church community is an important step closer to conversion.

10:58 PM, October 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all...
I am an active member of Gateway Community church.

Actually.. my story is in the book. My story is under the name of "Bryce."

I have been a member now for 5-1/2 years. I walked through the doors as an Atheist, not knowing Christ, deeply entrenched in darkness, depression and not knowing one person there. Now..five plus years later,,, I literally know hundreds of people, both Christ Followers and non. I am a deeply entrenched leader, with true and authentic Christian Community.

I see part of my role as helping other people through the darkness of non belief and skepticisim.

THAINAMU.. I strongly disagree with your comments. Not to be harsh, but your view is quite myopic.. and frankly.. that view is what keeps the unchurched from feeling welcomed to other churches. I have seen Gateway grow from about 400 people to reaching close to 3000 people at times for a single weekend. The GOSPEL is being shared loud and strong at Gateway.

Also.. I am sharing to everyone firsthand.. in sociological terms what is known as a "primary source".. that indeed non believers feel 100% welcomed. Many actually say that this has been the FIRST and ONLY church they ever did feel welcomed at. I know it was for me!

You ask..."What does darkness have to do with light?... I am telling you that you are asking the wrong question. Rather your question should be..

HOW CAN I BRING MY LIGHT TO THE DARKNESS!! ;-)

John's book, "NO Perfect People Allowed" is directly on the mark. I advised all who are interested in learning how to grow a church in todays world to read it thourghly.

Blessings!

Brian(Bryce)

11:44 PM, November 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home