Friday, October 20, 2006

Sigh...

Seminary passes resolution against speaking in tongues

Quote: "Southwestern will not knowingly endorse in any way, advertise, or commend the conclusions of the contemporary charismatic movement including private prayer language. Neither will Southwestern knowingly employ professors or administrators who promote such practices."

Now, I share the concerns about the "contemporary charismatic movement" Southwestern has (although perhaps not to the same degree). And personally I'm just about the least charismatic person there is in practice. Furthermore, Southwestern does have the right to keep their school distinctly Southern Baptist if they wish (although it wouldn't be my approach to running a seminary).

Here's the part I don't like: "Patterson said he defends the right of other Christians to believe in speaking in tongues. 'But don't wear a Yankee uniform when you play for the Mets,' he said."

I hope this was just an unfortunate analogy, but I don't like picturing fellow believers as playing for different teams.


Technorati tags:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, no one should be considered a "Yankee fan" in the kingdom of God... might as well call him the devil incarnate.

9:03 AM, October 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a sad thing on so many different levels. As a leader in this denomination I am embarrassed. As a graduate of this seminary I am ashamed. For an organization that prides itself on "inerrancy of the scriptures" this whole issue is unexplainable to me. And then to finalize the agruement with basically "that's just the way Baptists are and we will always be" speaks of pride and arrogance, not to mention just plain stupidity. The future of this denomination is questionable b/c of arrogant men like Dr. Patterson.

Here's the hope however...The Southern Baptist Convention is the one who determines the trustees for each Seminary. If the SBC can come to a Biblical stance on this issue then it would force the trustees to reconsider their action (or they will probably be removed). However I wouldn't hold my breath.

I hear that "sigh"....and I sigh along with you.

1:58 PM, October 23, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

Darius, if we keep with the "different teams" analogy, would that make the Pope = Steinbrenner?


Anonymous, are you someone I know? And how likely do you think the SBC is going to do that given the rulings about missionaries?

3:04 PM, October 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure the Baptist will not be adding any trustees that would remove this recent decision. I also am at a loss for a words. I grew up in Baptist churches, attended Southwestern and currently have some great friends who support/love this denomination. Unfortunately I don't know if this sends a great message for the future of the denomination.

It should get interesting.

On another note- Great job on the weight loss brother!

7:02 PM, October 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm... Steinbrenner or Marge Schott...

8:35 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

Thanks Steve, I was hoping you would comment on this.


Darius, I see Marge Schott more as a Pat Robertson.

10:46 AM, October 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah... who might Benny Hinn be? Ken Griffy Jr, cause he never seems to completely heal??? ;)

2:57 PM, October 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home