Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Bowl Games Recap: Winners and Losers

Winners:

Me - Although I didn't post my picks this year, my loyal readers will no doubt be relieved to hear that I rebounded from my poor 14-14 showing last season to go a decent 21-11.

Florida - They are the champions after all (even if they were very, very lucky to get by South Carolina).

Boise St. - Good win for them, in the year's best game, but the underdog thing was way overdone (as Boise was only a slight underdog).

Non-BCS Conferences - Boise St.'s win should give non-BCS teams a better chance to break into the BCS bowls.



Losers:

USC - They showed just how talented they were, and how much they underachieved this season.

Notre Dame - Exposed again. When will they stop getting into bowl games they have no business being in?

Ohio St. - Picked the wrong time to have a bad game.

Sane College Football Fans - Who will have to suffer the bragging from SEC homers who will never forget their team smashed a favorite team in a title game. They'll completely forget that the SEC lost their other two match-ups with the Big 10, Arkansas to Wisconsin and Tennessee to Penn St. (a big surprise to me).


Bonus NFL comment: How bout them Cowboys?! I've always been a supporter of, if you have to lose, doing it spectacularly.



Technorati tags:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, I have a friend here in Minnesota who is a die-hard Cowboy fan... he was quite moody Sunday morning at church. Romo's bobble didn't help me either, instead of putting me solidly in first place in my pick'em league, I am now 2 points behind the leader.

As for the bowl games, two things are obvious: the schedule makers need to stop putting teams' bye weeks at the end of the season and playing the championship game on the 2nd weekend in January is the best way to kill TV ratings. Ohio State and Michigan both looked like teams that had way too much time off. I can't recall a team that has had the extra long layoff and come out gangbusters in their bowl game. And what's with the championship game a whole 6 days after the last BCS game??? Only the die-hards stick around that long.

8:32 AM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger Freethinker said...

I definitely agree about the scheduling issues. The long time off makes it tough, almost like a season opener.

In the need to have all the games done before the NFL playoffs start, or they'll hurt their ratings.

2:45 PM, January 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home