Thursday, September 06, 2007

Fans who say "we"

Mikey's Sister says that blogs are "used for pet peeves," so I thought I'd fill people in on a pet peeve of mine. It's fans who say "we."

As in: "I hope we play better tomorrow," "I hope we sign so-and-so," "We sure played great last night," or "That guy stinks, we should cut him."

I'm sorry, Joe Fan, but it's false to use the pronoun "we" when referring to a sports team that you are not part of. I think the use of "we" in these cases stems from the desire to feel a part of something bigger and more interesting than ourselves. I can understand that, but when someone says "we," I'm still going to remark (if only to myself), "Oh really? What position do you play?"

Fans sometimes say they should be able to say "we" because their money and attendance helps to support the team. I'd say giving money to a team doesn't make you any more a part of a team than going to a rock concert makes you a part of the band.

Exceptions to the "no we" rule:

1. You own the team, play for the team, or are employed by the team in any fashion. This includes everything from a general manager to a parking lot attendant.

2. You used to be one of the above, especially ex-players, coaches, and office people. Although I think it is a bit much for someone who was a parking lot attendant for one summer to be using "we" the rest of his life, in my generosity I will extend the exemption even for that case.

3. You attended the school. You can say "we" for your school's teams for the rest of your life. This applies to all schools, elementary through university.

4. Your child is playing on the team.


That is all the exceptions I can think of for now, but I reserve the right to make additions or clarifications if the need arises. For now, any person using "we" when referring to a sports team, in a way not covered under one of the exemptions, shall face my wrath.

4 Comments:

Blogger Thainamu said...

We do not find this post amusing.

1:08 PM, September 06, 2007  
Blogger Freethinker said...

Consider yourself on notice.

6:40 PM, September 06, 2007  
Blogger Darius said...

So you're saying that the classic line from The Waterboy is wrong? "Ah, [they] suck again!"

10:32 AM, September 07, 2007  
Blogger Freethinker said...

I haven't seen that movie, so I can't say.

2:19 PM, September 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home