Saturday, February 11, 2006

Book Review: A Generous Orthodoxy (Metapost)

Ok, so it turned out to be more of a book summary than a book review. It also took alot longer and more effort than I expected, so I don't think I'll do a review in this precise fashion again. I do think the book is worth reading if you haven't previously read anything written by Brian McLaren.

Below is a sort of table of contents to my review of the book. My favorite parts are probably: missional (part 8), Liberal/Conservative (part 11), and Biblical (parts 13+14).

Part 1: My Introduction
Part 2: The Foreword by John Franke
Part 3: McLaren's Introduction
Part 4: Chapter 0

Why McLaren is a Christian
Part 5: 7 Jesuses
Part 6: Jesus and God B
Part 7: Would Jesus Be a Christian?

The kind of Christian that McLaren is
Part 8: Missional
Part 9: evangelical
Part 10: Post/Protestant (and on Restorationism)
Part 11: Liberal/Conservative
Part 12: Mystical/Poetic
Part 13: Biblical - (on purpose)
Part 14: Biblical - (narrative)
Part 15: Charismatic/Contemplative
Part 16: Fundamentalist
Part 17: Calvinist
Part 18: Anabaptist
Part 19: Anglican
Part 20: Methodist
Part 21: catholic
Part 22: Green
Part 23: Incarnational
Part 24: Depressed-Yet-Hopeful
Part 25: Emergent
Part 26: Unfinished

Technorati tags:

5 Comments:

Blogger Parke said...

Now that's a monumental set of posts. Thanks for sharing, dude.

6:24 PM, February 12, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

You're welcome, homie.

7:41 AM, February 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really am blessed you took the time to do this review. I have been wanting to read the book, and still might, but time and money haven't been my best friends as of late.

Your summary of each chapter was just what I needed to get a "groove" for what Brian is trying to convey. I have been told that every believer should own a copy of this book and while I don't know if I would go that far, I would say it has been an encouraging journey.

Thanks Jasen for taking us through it. I really appreciate it my friend!

10:34 AM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger tank said...

That's surely a lot of reading. I'd have to conclude that this isn't a book for me. No doubt it has lots of information, and the dude has done research to reach his conclusions, but it's all so very opinion-based in the end. Maybe someday I'd be in the mood for it.

6:45 AM, February 15, 2006  
Blogger Freethinker said...

hammond, I'm glad it was useful for you.


tank, I won't force you to read it then. :-)

9:21 AM, February 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home